Simpson Strong-Tie ABU Adjustable Post Base with Uplift (8-Inch x 8-Inch - Base 14; strap 12 Ga. - ZMAX®)
The ABU is designed to attach wooden posts to existing concrete in high capacity applications. The built-in 1" standoff of this adjustable post base helps to prevent rot at the end of the post. The ABU has a slotted anchor hole in the base for adjustability and attaches to the post with nails, Strong-Drive® SD Connector screws or bolts. This versatile post base makes a cost-effective option for securing a post to the foundation, with a design built for maximum uplift performance.
- The slot in the base enables flexibility around the anchor bolt, making precise post placement easier
- 1" stand-off design meets code requirements for structural posts installed in basements or exposed to weather or water splash
- Increased uplift loads for earthquake or wind loading
- See table
- ZMAX® and some in stainless steel; see Corrosion Information
- Use all specified fasteners; see General Notes.
- See our Anchoring, Fastening and Restoration Systems for Concrete and Masonry catalog for retrofit anchor options, such as Titen HD®, Stainless-Steel Titen HD or SET-3G™.
- Post bases do not provide adequate resistance to prevent members from rotating about the base and therefore are not recommended for non-top-supported installations (such as fences or unbraced carports).
- Place the base, cut washer(s) or load transfer plate(s) and nut(s) on the anchor bolt(s). Make any necessary adjustments to post placement and tighten the nut securely on the anchor bolt.
- Place the standoff base and then the post in the ABU.
- Fasten the post using nails or Strong-Drive SD Connector screws or bolts (ABU88Z, ABU1010Z, ABU1212Z — SDS optional).